Total Pageviews

Sunday, July 29, 2018

New Directions

I am back at the “little log cabin in the woods” for a long weekend, visiting my brother and participating in the annual art show of the Arts Council of Tamworth (NH). I had two of my wall quilts and my novel “After the Storm’ in the show and was delighted to sell one of the wall quilts at the opening Friday night.

It was lovely to have several people come up to me as soon as I arrived at the opening who greeted me with “so you are the quilter!” And then the woman who shyly approached me to ask questions about one of my quilts and then bought it. I have missed the days when I used to vend at quilt shows (both big and small) and had a chance to meet and talk directly with people interested in my work. I really enjoy that kind of personal interaction and need to find new ways to experience it.

I have been thinking for a while that as part of my journey towards New Directions I would like to concentrate on making smaller quilts that could be displayed as art pieces as opposed to the type I have been designing for the past 14 years that are primarily larger quilts meant to be used on beds or to snuggle with on sofas. This art show has given me the push I need to begin thinking more about quilts as ART and to be willing to sell some of them. I also need to think of myself more as an artist than a designer. That is more difficult to internalize but I am working on it.

One idea that came up when I was visiting family in Berkeley CA the last week of June was to collaborate (for want of a better word) with my brother and sister-in-law who are both painters. I love their work and thought how wonderful it would be if I could make some art quilts “inspired by” some of their paintings and maybe mount an art exhibit together. My SIL loves the idea! What do you think?

I welcome any feedback you want to share.

Cary Flanagan
Something Sew Fine
Http://www.somethingsewfine.com

4 comments:

  1. A collaboration sounds like a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment. I think it is a great idea too!

      Delete
  2. I have been thinking of collaborating with my daughter who takes photos, printing the photos on fabric through, perhaps Spoonflower, and then making art quilts with the fabric and other fibers, beads etc. Maybe photos of their art would work for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea. Thanks! I already have the photos of many of their artworks but did not think about printing them on fabric. Interesting.

      Delete