Total Pageviews

Wednesday, August 8, 2018

Another Year Older!

So - Yesterday was my birthday. I am 73 years young. Even though parts of me no longer look or function quite the way they once did, I am happy to say I am just as creative and “juicy” as I used to be.

When I tell people I have finally decided to ‘retire’, they think I am going to stop doing all the things I have been doing for the past fifteen years. Heck no! I will continue to design, sew, write, create, but hopefully with more freedom to just enjoy the process and not have to make something to order, or meet a specific requirement or deadline. THAT is the part I am retiring from.

Recently I was part of a wonderful conversation with a group of people ‘of a certain age’. We were talking about our lives including sore knees and backs. One gentleman (who was likely in his late 80’s) brandished his cane like a badge of honor and said emphatically: ”None of us knows how long we have left. I prefer to live as full of joy as I possibly can and not worry about what comes next!” I have heard this lifestyle referred to as living a ‘big juicy life’. That is the way I try to live my life, though, I have to say, it is pretty tough when the heat index (temperature plus humidity) is near or above 100 degrees!

Anyhow - back to my birthday - I had a really lovely day. Lunch with my best girlfriend, a few hours at a sewing machine shop (Nashua Sew & Vac), a nice dinner at home with my hubby, who not only cooked dinner but also brought me flowers and a yummy desert! Nice!

The best part, though, was my purchase of a high end sewing machine with lots of bells and whistles at a close-out price of almost $800.00 under the regular price! I figure, at this stage in my life this will likely be the last time I purchase a serious machine (and it replaces my twelve-yr. old machine that died a couple of months ago). On top of that, I got talking about what I do (design, teach, etc.) with Karen, who was helping me with the purchase and the owner and they have invited me to bring my patterns next time I am down there to discuss the possibility of teaching some classes! Pretty awesome!

So as part of my new, more liberated juicy life, I am certainly not above accepting (even encouraging) opportunities to teach (which I love to do) and (not incidentally) make a little money. While I am at it.

Feeling Groovey!

I love comments and will respond to everyone who leaves one.

Cary Flanagan
Something Sew Fine
www.somethingsewfine.com
Somethingsewfine@comcast.net

No comments:

Post a Comment